Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Time is Here!



Well its been quite a festive time in the Hopkins Household this past week! As per doctor's orders, we decided to stay in Louisville for Christmas instead of driving up to Cincinnati, as we had originally planned. Mom came down on the 23rd and we, along with the help of some strapping carnivorous fellows, fixed a Christmas Eve feast that included wild turkey (slain by Amos) cooked by our friend Joe in a dutch oven over the fire pit, venison back strap (courtesy of Chuck) grilled over the fire, artichoke and green bean casserole (Amos' mom's recipe), mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh baked bread from Blue Dog Bakery, and a gorgeous (if I may say so myself) mixed berry pavlova that I made that was, well, out of this universe. The meal was AHHHHHH-ma-ZING!!!

Christmas morning, Mom made cinnamon rolls (as per Graves Family tradition) and Dad arrived just in time to indulge in their gooey goodness, as we opened presents and drank hot chocolate. Amos got me a really great camera that shoots still photos and HD video that I can keep in my bag to take pictures of Ms. Awesome on the fly. Right now we have a Nikon manual/digital camera that takes great photos but is kind of huge to always be lugging around, so this new camera will be perfect! Among the copious piles of presents we had under our tree this year, I also got some really nice PJs from Mom to wear in the hospital and some comfy shearling lined Crocs from Dad to pad around the house in. Excellent loot! Amos also got me some flannel pjs to wear after Awesome arrives. I tried them on to see if they fit yet. What do you think?



Dad brought a yummy spiral cut ham down with him and we had another amazing day of delicious food with leftovers from the night before, more fresh Blue Dog bread, and ham.

Oh, did I mention we went sledding? And by "we" I mean, Amos and Mom went sledding (with Rosco and Jake chasing them down the hill), while Dad and I watched from the top of the hill in Cherokee Park. So much fun! I can't wait until next year, when Ms. Awesome is not in utero and I can take a ride! I hope sledding on Christmas (as long as there's snow) becomes a tradition.


Mom takes a turn



Amos headed down with Rosco close behind.

Mom headed back to Cincy on Sunday afternoon and Dad stayed another night and we watched old movies and ate fondue (my favorite!) It was quite a delicious weekend!

Amos' mom, Bet, came on Monday evening and we went out for Indian food. I've heard that babies are predisposed to enjoy foods that they were exposed to during their mother's pregnancy, so I like to eat lots of spicy, garlicky, curried yumminess, so Awesome will like all the good stuff. Hope it works!

Today, we had a busy day. We had another appointment with one of our midwives, Beth, along with another ultrasound to make sure that the placenta isn't doing anymore acting up and that Awesome is still very cute. The good news is, the placenta seems to be behaving itself, and Awesome is still very, very cute (although there are some face shots of her that are kind of scary, in a skeletal sort of way.) Bet got to go with us, so she got see Awesome moving and shaking around, too! Based on the ultrasound, Awesome seems to be a bit tiny (in the 10th percentile) for her age, so I have orders to fatten her up in the coming weeks by eating higher caloric foods, especially protein, which will help her build muscle. Amos asked if exercise would help and Beth said, not really as this would burn calories. So I guess that means that the next few weeks will be filled with me sitting around and eating steak. Its a rough life. I am scheduled for another ultrasound in two more weeks to make sure she continues getting bigger. In the past two weeks she has gained about 7 ounces (according to the ultrasounds, which aren't necessarily exact), so she is growing, she just needs some more meat on her bones! Beth didn't seem too concerned, its just something to monitor over the coming weeks. Its kind of crazy, because when we got our first ultrasound at 20 weeks, we thought it would be the only chance we would get to have an Awesome preview, but since then we've had three more, with one again into weeks! Its nice to be able to check in with her and say, Hi!

After we left the midwife's office, Bet took us diaper back pack shopping. Knowing that there was a slim chance Amos would ever be caught dead lugging around a diaper bag, we decided to find a neutral, inconspicuous day pack that will actually hold more stuff than a regular diaper bag and will leave our hands free, as well. Amos fell in love with a camo print day back, but I had to put my foot down and insist on something that would suit both of us a little better than camouflage. We settled on a black North Face pack with lots of pockets, that I think will work great. While shopping we considered things like, 'Will this bag show puke stains easily?' and 'Is there a compartment we can dedicate to poop covered clothing?' I think we made a good choice.

So, all in all its been a fun, eventful, yet laid back week, spent surrounded by family and good friends. Tomorrow, I am headed to Cincinnati for a day for a baby shower thrown by one of my best friends, Britt and her mom, Chris. I am so excited, as a lot of my friends from high school whom I haven't seen in a long time are going to be there. Should be a lot fun, I just have to decide what to wear!


Week 34


Happy Holidays! Love, Katy, Amos, Rosco, Juliette Binoche and Awesome.


Dear Little Bear,

This time next year, you will have enjoyed your first visit from Santa! He proved this year that he does know where our house is on Pope Street and even sent one of his elves, Amrinder, to make sure that Papa and I were being good. You will get to meet Amrinder next year. He said he would be back.

Next year, you'll also get to go sledding (or at least watch us go sledding), which will be fun. I know you will love sledding when you get bigger. Its especially fun, because Rosco likes to race down the hill with you.

Do you like steak and milk shakes? I certainly hope so, because that's what we are going to be eating in the next couple weeks. Its time to pudge you up so you can be a roly poly just like Papa and I were when we were babies. Papa, your grandma, Bet, and I all got to see you today. Several times you were looking straight at us. Its too bad that we can see you, but you can't see us. Soon enough! 2011 is days away, which means that you will soon be here! We are so excited.

Merry Christmas, Little Bear.

Papa and I love you very much.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment