Monday, November 28, 2011

Best Rendition of a Much Lived Life

We had a truly AWESOME Thanksgiving this year, with family driving in from Cincinnati, DC and Vermont. You know, I really have to admit that having a baby is like a magnet when it comes to getting your family to visit you, and I will happily take advantage of that whenever I can.


Thanksgiving is, hands down, my favorite holiday. First of all, it is a wonderful excuse to bring all your friends and family around my favorite place: the table. Second, it involves one of my favorite past times- planning and cooking a massive meal. Third, Thanksgiving is about one of my favorite feelings: gratitude. And I have so, so much to be grateful for this year: An amazing husband who continues to astound me with his ability to inject love, levity and passion into every inch of our lives. A husband who went out and killed us a wild turkey for this year's feast! A husband who is not only an amazing partner but an amazing father to our Squirrel Girl. We are so lucky to be in a place in our lives that allows us the flexibility to take care of June Apple at home, without having to have her in daycare. We have been blessed with incredible friends and family who graciously help us take care of June when we are both at work and school. I have a group of 8(!) girlfriends who rotate taking care of June Bug on Thursday nights when Amos has a gig and I am in class until 10pm. To say I am thankful for these women is an understatement. I am so grateful to be close to our families, as their love, support and endless supply of baby booties (Mom) overwhelms me. Speaking of support, the flexibility, baby-love, and encouragement that I have felt from the counseling psych department and my supervisor and co-workers in the teaching and learning department at U of L, allows me to really have my cake and eat it, too.


And then there's June Apple. Sometimes I look at her and the immensity of my gratitude literally takes my breath away. How did I get so lucky? I never, ever, take for granted what a gift she is in our lives, as I am painfully aware that her's is a gift not everyone in my life has been able to receive. My heart aches with the weight of my love for her and I am so grateful that she is happy, healthy, and much, much loved. Oh, and she's pretty cute, too.


Wow, re-reading this post makes it seem like an Oscar acceptance speech. I forgot to thank the Academy. An Oscar for Best Rendition of a Much Lived Life.


So here are some pictorial highlights from the day:








 All in all, an excellent day spent with excellent people eating excellent food!

No comments:

Post a Comment