Thursday, September 9, 2010

Letters to an Artist as a Young Fetus



Okay, so I decided to start taking pics that were a bit more close up, because well, my head is starting to look really small in the pictures as the rest of my body expands and that's weird. Also, you can, if you so desire, see a bigger version of the pics by double clicking on the image.
Apparently, Awesome is mango sized this week (one of my favorites!). Yummy. Is it gross that every week, when I find out what size fruit/veggie Awesome is comparable to, I really start craving it? Mmmmm...mangoes.

The past few months I have kept a variety of records, including this blog, of my thoughts, feelings and general observations of this crazy time in our lives. I have been keeping a journal (the kind you write in with a pen- I know, what is this the '90's?) that tracks questions I have that need answering and more private thoughts on this matter, as well as hormonal ramblings that I feel others should be spared from. That being said, I also kept something of a record for Awesome, so that when she/he so desire (or when I read it to him/her ad nauseum as soon as they're born) they can look back and know what was happening in Mama and Papa's life as they prepared for her/his arrival.

I decided this week, that Awesome will probably be really tech savvy and may already have a little iPhone in my belly right now and is reading the blog, wishing she/he could make comments about how neurotic I am and making editorial notes on how the blog layout could look better. So, starting this week, I decided to include my little letters and thoughts I have been composing for Awesome. And hopefully if she/he is reading this now, he/she will have the common sense to know not to criticize his/her mother and will take everything I write as sage, sage wisdom.

Anyhoo, when I think about Awesome, I actually don't think of the moniker "Awesome." I know, big shocker. I more think of her/him as Little Bear. When Amos was a little boy, he thought he was a bear. In many ways, he still does think this. So, its hard not for me to think of this little baby as my Little Bear. So, for the sake of the blog and to others I may refer to Awesome as such, but when I writing directly to this little one, it's Little Bear. Just so you know.

Dear Little Bear,

Papa thinks that you are going to be a great musician like him because your heartbeat was so fast when we first heard it. Of course, we would love for you to play any musical instrument you like, as long as it's not the banjo or the drums (they get no respect.) I just want you to be funny. Papa and I have found that if you can make people tap their feet and laugh, you'll have a pretty good life, and that's what we want for you. A good life. We will promise to try and make you dance and laugh every day, so that you understand how wonderful it is to have those things.

Because you are a 19 week old Little Bear in my tummy, you are probably dancing around already and snapping your fingers. I played the ukulele a lot this past week and Papa played the guitar and fiddle. Did you like it? If so, kick once for "yes", twice for "not so much." Actually, I will be very happy when I can feel you dancing around. Maybe you should put on your tap shoes so I can feel it. Maybe you're just hanging out and taking it easy, having a good ol' time and sitting on my bladder. Whichever, I hope you're happy. I know I am.

Papa and I are so excited to see your picture next week! Give me a wave, okay? Or a thumbs up. Or a peace sign, that would be neat. Maybe you could dance a little jig. Whatever you do, I can't wait to see you.

We love you, Little Bear.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment