Monday, September 6, 2010

Waiting for the Rumblies



My little sweet potato is 18 weeks! And hopefully, because that's the way I like 'em best, this little sweet potato is cushioned by butter, marshmallows, pineapples and brown sugar. In so many ways, the days and weeks seem to inch by and it feels like this baby will never get here, but then I am doing as my mom calls it, "end gaining." And so, instead, I am trying to be in the moment and soak up the wonder and the craziness that is being pregnant, because, hell, I'm only going to be pregnant a couple times in my life. I should really cherish this! But, as is my habit in life, I get really caught up waiting for the future and have a hard time being here and now. Got to do it. Its hard though, because I still don't feel 100 percent pregnant. I mean, something is definitely going on in my body and it is crazy, but I look at myself and think, "well, I could still just pass for chubbier...not exactly pregnant." And while we have heard Awesome's heartbeat, we still have yet to have an ultrasound. So for all I know, I could've just grown a second heart and be some sort of freakish medical anomaly.

I also have yet to really feel the baby move. Which is supposed to be happening right around now. According to thebump.com, "Awesome has become amazingly mobile (at least compared to you), passing the hours yawning, hiccuping, rolling, twisting, kicking, punching, sucking and swallowing. And, baby's finally big enough that you'll be able to feel those movements soon." Women who have been pregnant before describe the early movements as feeling like, flutters, or butterflies, or popcorn popping, or gas. Well, I certainly feel rumblies in my tumbly, but I don't know if its the baby or if its just air bubbles. I'm guessing if I can audibly hear it, its probably the latter. Anyway, hopefully I feel a good swift quick to the belly button soon and then have this very obvious Aha moment, and say, "Ahhhh, there you are!"

So I suspect that the further along I get, the more I can feel Awesome dancing around and the more I really look like a pregnant lady, I will (hopefully) be able to be more present and soak up these days. But in the meantime, I'm like, "Hurry up already, let's meet this baby!"



2 comments:

  1. I was about 20 or maybe even 21 weeks when I felt the baby and knew it was really him. Some of what you're feeling now is almost definitely baby. If you feel a couple taps in the same spot it's baby... Those air bubbles move around :). Can't wait to see Awesome's picture and find out if he's a he or a she!!! When's the big day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Jess! Next Thursday is the big day! So excited!

    ReplyDelete