Saturday, January 15, 2011

Apple of Our Eye

When our baby was born she was put right on my chest. We waited to clamp the cord until it had stopped pulsing so that she could get all of that excellent cord blood.

When it came time for Amos to cut the cord, the doctor mentioned that it may take several cuts to cut through, because cords are so dense. However, when Amos cut it, it cut with one snip, which indicated something was a little off. Then it was time for me to deliver the placenta. Dr. Stell told me that I would feel some pressure and then some relief. But the placenta wouldn't deliver and Dr. Stell had to manually deliver it (I won't go into details, but lets just say, both hands were involved....). When she did she said, "Wow, the cord was attached to your membranes." Apparently, what happened was that I had what is called a velamentous cord insertion (VCI). This happens in about 1% of singleton pregnancies and is a bit more common with multiples. Normally, the umbilical cord inserts into the middle of the placenta as it develops. In velamentous cord insertion, the umbilical cord inserts into the fetal membranes, then travels within the membranes to the placenta. The exposed vessels are not protected by Wharton's jelly (a protectant and insulator) and are therefore vulnerable to rupture in early labor. We are very lucky that this did not happen, as the outcome could have been unspeakably terrible. because of the VCI, the baby was not getting enough nutrients, which explained her low birth weight and slightly early arrival. Susan later said that she took one look at the placenta and knew that this baby was a survivor. She knew she needed to get out into the big ol' world where she could fatten up and grow big and healthy. And what a debut it was!

I held her on my chest for several hours and she nursed right away (or as Amos' mom Bet called it, she "climbed Milk Mountain"). She was so tiny and sweet and Amos and I were in awe of her perfection.


As I held her, Amos said, "Katy, I think she's a June Apple." Yes. Yes she is. And the placenta? Well its name is Calamity.


Amos holds our daughter for the first time.









Dear June Apple,

Papa and I are so very, very blessed to finally be able to hold you and look into your big, beautiful eyes. They are bluish gray now, and time will tell what color they will turn out to be. You have gorgeous long fingers and feet that remind me of candy and I want to eat them. Your hair is dark and you have so much of it! It feels like satin and your hands feel like feathers. Your skin is so soft and I like to nuzzle my face in the sweetness of your neck. Who knew that such a little being could create a space for such big, big love?

You are a miracle and Papa and I love you very, very much.

Love,

Mama




1 comment:

  1. Oh, Katy! Congratulations!! What a beautiful story, and what a sweet, perfect little family you have. I'm so happy for you! Many many blessings of health and happiness to you and your husband and your tiny daughter. I hope to meet her one day!

    xo
    Lynzie

    ReplyDelete