Wednesday, April 18, 2012

When I was 17...

Its been a crazy week of final papers, finishing up my practicum (yay! no more two hour commutes!) and running after June Bug. June Apple had her 15 month appointment this week and while her height and head are in the 50th percentile, her weight lands her in the 6th ( a jump from the 3rd!). The doctor was really happy that she had gained nearly two pounds over the past 3 months, and grown and inch and a half. But she suggested I start giving her Carnation Essentials Instant Breakfast, mixed with her milk to bulk her up. Argh. While I don't mind finding healthy ways to increase her caloric intake (avocados, olive oil, yoghurt, etc...) I am not going to give her some sugary drink powder with God knows what kind of crap fillers just so that she can gain weight. Plus, I know what percentiles mean, and I am not overly concerned about June gaining weight so that she can be more like the 'average' American toddler. I want her to be strong and healthy and eat tasty foods that are good for her and give her an appreciation of eating and feeling good. Anyone who meets her knows that she is healthy and happy, with lots of energy. So, Carnation gets a big thumbs down. 

In other news, here I am at 17 weeks. Hello, pregnant lady! Where did that belly come from?! Its strange because I feel like I am bigger this time around than with June Apple, but since I started off this pregnancy weighing less, my maternity pants are still loose around my waist. Probably not for long! Not as sharp of a pic as I would like, my friend Emily took this on her phone and it was an especially bright day....
Dear Baby Bear,

You are quite the little jumping bean! You kick me all the time, day and night, and I bet this is only a hint of whats to come! I think its your way of letting me know you are there when I get distracted by the antics of your big sister. June Apple likes to blow raspberries on my tummy, which probably sounds pretty crazy to you. I am sure that you hear her laughing when she does this. I am guessing the two of you will have lots of laughs together!

Your Papa thinks you are going to be a big big baby because you kick so much, but I think its because you are feisty already. Well, you'll fit right in with us, for sure! Big or small, I love getting to know you already.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment