Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Brief Week in Review

Okay, so I write this on the eve of my 23rd week and have to make sure that I get a recap of week 22 out right away. I had a great weekend visit home to Cincinnati and Spring Valley. Got to see the folks and get treated like a queen. Yummy food, ice cream, comfy beds, tie dye onesies, shopping sprees and a pillow overload. Both my mom and Bet, Amos's mom had heard that I was having difficulty sleeping, so they went out and bought me a variety of comfy body pillows that now surround me like a cocoon. How Amos actually manages to find me under the mountain of pillows, I don't know. I had been thinking that if I just surround myself in the myriad of pillows we already owned, that I would be okay and no new pillows could possibly make that big of a difference. But oh, was I wrong! Lets just say that a miracle pillow, also known as The Snoogle, has forever changed my life and extended my sleep intervals from two hours to a blissfully long 3 1/2 hours (before I wake up and have to pee). Thank you, thank you Moms!

I also got to see my dear dear friends, The Riddlebarger/Coppola Families. I have known them my whole life and had not seen them since I've been pregnant, so it was wonderful to see them and sit around marveling at life cycles. We sat around the table discussing favorite childhood books, among them The Boxcar Children, Little House on the Prairie, The Borrowers, The BFG, Little Women, The Little Princess, The Secret Garden. So many good books about adventurous little girls (and boys). It made me so excited to share these books with Awesome and read together the way I read with my mom. Reading was such a vital portal for me into other world and I hope it will be for her, too. Of course, we'll probably read Harry Potter together, as well, new classics to add to the older ones. Any other suggestions? I commented that so many of the books had to do with orphan children and Ruth pointed out that these types of books help children develop their own sense of wonder and independence. I really hope that we are successful in allowing Awesome to be independent and adventurous. A life filled with wonder is an absolute must!

Apparently I could start reading to her right now, if I want. According to thebump.com, "Watch what you say -- baby is now able to hear outside noise from down in the womb. Studies show that baby finds gentle music and your own voice most soothing. Nipples are starting to sprout, and that little face is fully formed. And, baby's starting to settle into sleep cycles, snoozing about 12 to 14 hours a day. It shouldn't be hard to figure out when -- just pay attention to those kicks as they start and stop." I wish I could sleep for 12-14 hours a day!

All very exciting! And here is my week 22 picture along with a piece of fruit:



Dear Little Bear,

I saw all of your grandparents this weekend and they are so so excited to meet you! I wonder what you will call them. You are so lucky to have such wonderful grandmas and grandpas who are so much fun and creative and silly and will love you to bits! They will also, undoubtedly, spoil you rotten. They have all already started buying you presents! I told them they have to keep them all at their houses for the time being until Papa and I have a place to put them all. Of course, they will probably have things for you to play with that they keep at their house, too, so that you are never bored. With any of them, you are bound to have a great time! You are one lucky Little Bear!

You also have 4 great grandma's and a great grandpa who will also love you and shower you with affection! Did I mention your aunts and uncles? You will have two uncles, Josh and Andy and many aunties, including Amy, Seneca, Mimi H. and Mimi E!

Of course, there are tons and tons of other family members who will love love love you! What an Awesome family you have! Everyone is so so excited to meet you!

But most of all, Papa and I are excited. We promise to give you a life filled with magic and wonder.

Papa and I love you very much.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katy-- smiles and best wishes from Ketchikan! I enjoy reading your journey... Sher

    ReplyDelete