Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Blessings


Week 33

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep
Counting my blessings - Irving Berlin

With Christmas in our midst and the past couple week's events still settling in, I have been reflecting more and more on life and its blessings. I've been thinking, even before the scare last week of what it truly means to be a parent and all the uncertainties that are carried with such an immensely wonderful honor. Parenting, like marriage, or rather like any great love you have in your life, opens your heart and soul to its greatest vulnerability. By allowing our hearts to be open we inevitably accept the very real vulnerability of life's preciousness and fragility. Some things in life, including the lives of those we love, are outside the realm of our power. Nothing can keep them perfectly and completely safe. Even if you do everything right and take the greatest precautions, there are always risks and unexpected turns. And that is scary. But all you can do is live your life to its fullest and greatest potential and love to the greatest extent of your being.



Dear Little Bear,

You have been such a blessing from the moment I knew you were with me. Life will be filled with many unexpected turns and I have no way of predicting all the many adventures we will have together and all the journeys you will take on your own.
Papa and I promise to make you feel safe and cherished, always. We promise to instill in you a love and thirst of the unknown and to be fearless in the face of possibility. We also promise to raise you to love openly and to the greatest extent of your being.

Papa and I love you very much.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment