Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Glamour Shots

Okay, so I've been thinking about those maternity portraits that have become common place these days. Now, let me be clear, I obviously see the value in documenting my growing waistline, and if I could have a better, more creative photographer take my picture every week, I would. And I have been tossing around the idea of having some pics taken of Amos and I to mark this auspiscious time in our lives, so that we can show Awesome some day and say, "Look how big and happy Mama was! Look how rested Papa looks! Look how swollen Mama's fingers were! Don't ever forget the sacrifices we made for you!" Starting documentation for later parental guilt is always a good idea.

However, I must say, some of these maternity portraits are borderline creepy, and or cheesy, and or ridiculous. Maybe its just me. I know the pictures can be beautiful and look very natural and I think I would like that. Perhaps its the posing that I don't like. For some reason, I find the pictures of fathers on their knees, face to their wives rotund bellies, with silly grins, slightly unnerving:



Or the cheesy hands-making-a heart over the pregnant belly shot. It was probably a stroke of genius the first time someone figured out that gem of a pose, but now....its just....



My fear is if we decided to get some pics taken it would be similar to the time my mom and I thought it would be hi-larious to go to the mall and have Glamour Shots taken of us, being overtly cheesy, and give them, as a gag gift, to my dad for Christmas. Well, lets just say that the staff of Glamour Shots were not in on the joke, and we came away with 150 prints of Mom and I in cowboy hats and off the shoulder boas blowing kisses at the camera, and looking like we took ourselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. I wish now that those pictures could have been burned on the spot. I can't even laugh at them they are so painfully awkward. So, while I would love to have pictures taken, by a great photographer, I fear it may be a Glamour Shots repeat, and I would never forgive myself (or at least my vanity wouldn't) Here are some examples of what I fear, courtesy of one of my favorite websites, www.awkwardfamilyphotos.com:



And for the outdoorsy types (like Amos and I):



I have not ruled out a photo session. But its going to have to be with the right photographer, and I don't think I will wear a cowboy hat or a boa this time.

I officially can get into the Christmas spirit, as Amos' birthday was Sunday (December 5th), and for me, that's when I give myself permission to crank up the Kris Kringle! Today I found myself wondering if it was too early to start decorating the house with kid-related items. Is it too early to invite an Elf on a Shelf into the house? Can I leave a plate of cookies and a glass of milk out for Santa this year, just so he knows where we are for the coming years? Can I go sit on Santa's lap this year and insist he listen to Awesome's wish-list via fetal monitor?

While I am excited about the years of kid-filled Christmases ahead of us, I am also trying to treasure our last Christmas together, just the two of us. Our friends Brett and Jess, similarly pregnant during Christmas this time last year, celebrated the holiday in a condo in Hawaii, just the two of them. Hmmmm....that would be nice. Alas, I don't see tropical sands and crystal blue waters in our near fiscal future. I did suggest to Amos that we could, as a substitute, spend a long weekend at that indoor water park off 1-71. That's second-best, right? Fingers crossed.

Speaking of glamor shots, here is week 31's picture. She's quite the little bundly ball of joy!



Dear Little Bear,

I went out today to do a little Christmas shopping and was so tired after the first stop. You must really be needing my energy, because I am getting more and more sleepy during the day. Not to mention that I have to get up every 45 minutes during the night to pee, and when I stand up it feels like you drop a balling ball on my bladder. Last night it felt like you were shimmying and shaking your groove. What were you doing? Sometimes all your moving around keeps me awake, mostly because I lie there trying to imagine what you look like and what kind of personality you have. As much as I love sleeping, I really love our late night rendezvous. Papa and I wish that we had another ultrasound, so that we could watch and see how much you've grown, but at the same time, we like the idea of holding off until your big debut in a couple months!

I can't wait until school is over next week, so I can rest more and you can do some more growing.

Papa and I love you very much.

Love,

Mama

3 comments:

  1. You look beautiful!!! I think you and Amos need to re-create/re-stage each and every one of those awkward family photos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woah those are hilarious! i can be your lady if you like just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, I don't know, the handgun and the watermelon are pretty you. You should seriously consider that pose...

    ReplyDelete