Monday, June 18, 2012

Book Bug

Our girl loves books. And I would love to be able to say that its because we spend hours a day reading to her and driving home phonics, but the truth is, in a room full of toys and musical instruments, she goes for the bookshelf, swipes them all off the shelf into a pile and cracks 'em open. She pours over the words, from The Runaway Bunny to Doors of Perception (seriously). They can have pictures or chapters. She doesn't care. No e-reader needed in this house. Its the paper she loves. She loves to slowly turn the pages and point to pictures of faces or objects she knows and name them proudly. She reads to the cat and the dog, and of course, us. She also loves to be read to, often physically opening our hands to place a book in our palms. Often we'll start a book and she'll be too eager to move on to the next, so she'll shut the one we are midway through and grab another. Who knows where her loves of words and pages will take her?



                                               



And here I find myself at 25 weeks, eager to soak in the summer, without suffering too much in the heat. Time seems to go too fast anyway, but especially during the summer months. I have so much to do, in terms of school, before Baby Bear arrives, its hard to imagine how it will all get done, although I know it will. One day at a time, one page at a time, one word at a time. Oh, and I've got to find time to soak in the summer fun, too!

Dear Baby Bear,

When I was pregnant with your sister, i tried to remember to read out loud to her and sing to her, so she would come in to the world with a love of words and songs. Although I didn't do either of these things nearly as much as I wish I did, she still seems to love both, perhaps instinctively, because her Papa and I love words and notes so very much. As you will soon see for yourself, our home is packed to the gills with books and instruments, and we hope you love them as much as we do. In them you will discover the world and find doorways to create new worlds within yourself. The great thing about you being my second baby is that you get to hear all the books and songs we share with your sister everyday. Perhaps you already have some favorites. Are you as sick of Skip To My Lou as I am? Or do you love it just as much as June Apple. I wonder what your favorites will be....

Your Papa, June Apple and I love you very much.

Love,
Mama
                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment