Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Grateful

As Thanksgiving is upon us, and I look around to count my multitude of blessings, I am overwhelmed with gratitude at all this year has brought for me. Having the love and support of such a wonderful husband, fabulous family and fantastic friends, has made this year, and my pregnancy so amazing.

This past weekend, my friends Angela and Rachel threw me an amazing baby party and invited all my school friends. Everyone brought a book for Awesome's library, along with a bead they selected, with me in mind, that I will string on a necklace to have with me during labor, so I know that that I have the love and support of all my friends. Two of the beads were bears, one for Little Bear and one for Mama Bear. How fantastic is that?! Everyone also videotaped messages to Awesome, talking about Amos and I and how great they think we are, so that she can watch it when she is older. I can't wait until she's a teenager and some guy comes to our house to pick her up for their first date, and we insist that we all sit down and watch the video before they go out. Awwwww......so romantic. My mom and Amos' mom, Bet drove down for the party. It was great to have them there celebrating along with us.

Good times, good people.

The hostesses, Angela and Rachel.

Today, I spent the day making pies for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It was great to have the day off to spend in the kitchen, doing what I love to do, as well as spend some quality time with Amos. I really cherish our time alone, as I know it will soon be even further and fare between. This semester has been tough and has felt like it has dragged on. What has made it especially hard is that Amos and I have nearly opposite schedules and rarely get to spend any time together. It was nice to spend this rainy day inside, sleeping late in a warm bed with a warm husband and cuddly dog and cat, and then to get my hands in some flour, warm up with kitchen and make pies all day.


Working on the filling for the apple-blackberry pie.

The finished products, including Amos' favorite- pumpkin.


Speaking of pumpkins....I am officially in the seventh month of my pregnancy and Awesome is, apparently the size of a pumpkin, or some similarly round medium sized squash. How apt for Thanksgiving!

According to thebump.com, Awesome’s energy is surging, thanks to the formation of white fat deposits beneath the skin. (Have those kicks and jabs to the ribs tipped me off yet?) Awesome is also settling into sleep and waking cycles, though -- as I’ve also noticed -- they don’t necessarily coincide with my own. Also this month, all five senses are finally functional, and the brain and nervous system are going through major developments. Well, sounds like she's getting to be quite the chubster! Speaking of chubster...



Starting to look quite rotund in week 29, if I do say so myself!



Dear Little Bear,

Papa and I are so excited about Thanksgiving this year, and there is so much to be thankful for, with YOU being at the top of the list! Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday and this year we are going to three, yes THREE, Thanksgiving meals! We start the day with Papa's Pops and step-mom's house (don't know what you will decide to call them yet) at noon. We are really looking forward to seeing them, as well as seeing Mamaw (the other Katy Hopkins), who is 89 this year. We are very lucky to be able to share a meal with her, no doubt. I can't wait for you to meet her. You will love her!

At 3 we are off to visit with Papa's Mama Spoons (Grandma moniker TBA) to have a meal with her, your Uncle Andy and Aunt Seneca, and all the members of the Stewart family. That should be a lot of fun, too! The Stewarts are a funny bunch of folks and you will really love being around such silly people.

We end the night at my Mama and Papa's house, where it will be another full house with a great feast. Your Uncle Josh and Aunt Amy will be there, along with many good friends from Cincinnati and Louisville.

I hope you like all the turkey tomorrow! I will try not to eat too much, especially because my stomach is all squished up, with you taking up so much room in my tummy!

Little Bear, we are so, so grateful for you.

Papa and I love you very much.

Love,

Mama

3 comments:

  1. If only every parent was as devoted as you are. The world would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does it seem, in that shower picture, that I am playing the role of Kitchen Bouncer?

    "None shall pass! Ice cream for no one!"

    Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy
    Love all the pictures you are adding to the blog--just great! We thought of you at Thanksgiving while we played tunes at Rudy and Mary's. Your kitchen looks just like the 1910 farmhouse I am going to Dec 29th. Sher
    Happy Holidays...

    ReplyDelete