Thursday, July 22, 2010

End of the first trimester- Hallelujah!



Thank you, thank you, thank you Mother Nature for ushering me though these last 12 weeks without having to sacrifice a small goat to the gods of nausea and exhaustion! It was a rough road, but I am definitely starting to feel better. This week I cooked dinner AND did the dishes and did not throw a tantrum. Of course, I must also give great credit to my dear dear husband who endured these weeks of having a moody, crabby, mopey, lethargic wife and didn't even yell at her once!

According to thebump.com, our little lime is now a juicy plum! From a prune to a plum in two weeks! Our fruit has been officially rehydrated! Thebump.com also reports: As you move into the second trimester, baby shifts into the growth and maturation stage. After weeks in the critical development stage, almost all of baby's systems are fully formed.

Last weekend we went to a party and were talking to some friends about little Awesome. Of course, everyone wants to know if we are going to find out if it's a boy or a girl before they're born. When they ask this I have visions of receiving piles of pastel pink or blue onsies and having to traipse over, in disguise, to Target to return them. If you have ever been to our house, you know we don't mess around with colors of the pastel persuasion. Life is too, too short to be surrounded by muted colors. Bring on the primary and the jewel tones!

Of course, armed with plenty of Judith Butler quotes about performing gender roles, part of me wants to resist giving into people's urges to fit our child into a box before they're born. Then again, the 18 year old feminist me is now a 29 year old feminist, and I have evolved in my thoughts on these issues. The truth is boys and girls are different, in fact I think they're different from day one, regardless of how society tells them to act. Plus I like girl things and I know a lot of boys who like boy things, and that's all fine and dandy and works out lovely. Of course, if our little Awesome decides to defy societies expectations, we will love them all the more. But for the record: I do not like and will not dress our child in frilly lacy pink itchy craziness, disney/cartoon or sports themed items- no matter who they are. Why? Because I am the mommy and I am in charge of my child's identity, and I don't like those things, they don't reflect who I and Amos are. And if you can't use your child as a billboard for your own tastes and political leanings, then what good are they?! Of course, if our child comes to us when they are old enough to make their own clothing decisions- like say, 15, and they let us know that they really want to wear a Mickey Mouse in a baseball uniform themed Easter outfit with layers of lace, then I will consider it. But only then.














Why would someone do this to their child?!

Needless to say, we are going to find out. I know lots of people who didn't find out until the BIG DAY and it was wonderful and exciting, but I've yet to talk to a single couple who found out beforehand and reported, "You know what, the whole birth thing was kind of a letdown and bummer because, well, we already knew it was going to be a boy, so who really cares about meeting them face to face?" I've had several people tell me they thought not knowing the sex, gave them something to look forward to and therefore made labor easier. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm guessing that when you're in labor you have plenty to look forward to, like say, having labor over with or, I don't know, MEETING YOUR CHILD. Call me crazy, maybe that's just me. Also, you know what else apparently makes labor easier? Drugs.

2 comments:

  1. As my dear friend Mary B. pointed out, knowing the gender of your child beforehand does *not* take ALL of the mystery out of having a child. You still get to wait 20 years or so to find out if they are gay or not.....and I want to add there's also the mystery of whether they'll become Orthodox Jewish all of a sudden, or like, out of nowhere suddenly decide to become a psychologist. There are *many* mysteries to having a child....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gender doesn't mean that much. both of my boys love to dress up like princesses and play with trucks. they do have completely different personalities. take eli for instance who went tubing behind a boat on his 2nd b-day saying "faster daddy faster". Hudson who is 3 was screaming "slow down, slow down!"

    ReplyDelete